Content Steering CDN
- Content Steering is defined for HLS and DASH.
- Content Steering is implemented in most if not all major player libraryies that support HLS and DASH (HLS.js, DASH.js, Shaka-player, video.js).
- We encourage EXO Player to implement support, or signal if they would take a contribution that implements it.
- Client behavior is well defined with few caveats (like when to pause steering manifest refresh) making implementation on the client rather straight forward
- The manifest format is simple, but how to steer and distribute traffic is open-ended and the spec does not offer guidance
- Not many commercial video platforms offer Content Steering as a service